The DLW-SWM community yard sale is Sat. May 20, 8AM-2PM (rain date Sun. May 21)
Wednesday, May 10, 2017
VDOT MEETING ON I-66 EXPANSION OUT SIDE THE BELTWAY AND EFFECT ON DUNN LORING COMMUNITIES: MON., MAY 15, 7PM AT STENWOOD SCHOOL CAFETERIA
DUNN LORING WOODS CIVIC ASSOCIAION MEMBERSHIP MEETING TUES., MAY 16, 7:30PM AT STENWOOD SCHOOL CAFETERIA. AGENDA INCLUDES AWARDING OF DLWCA SCHOLRSHIP, BOARD AND OFFICER ELECTION, AND LAWN AND LANDSCAPE TIPS PRESENTATION BY MERRIFIELD GARDENS. THERE WILL ALSO BE TWO RANDOM DOOR PRIZES GIVEN OUT.
The last issue of The Lantern incorrectly reported the upcoming DLWCA/SWMCA yard sale to be held May 21 with a rain date of May 22. The correct date is May 20 with a rain date of May 21.
Thursday, April 27, 2017
This morning Governor McAuliffe announced that the proposed ramp over Gallows Road is cancelled.
The Governor said this change was made specifically in response to residents' concerns.
THANK YOU ALL FOR SPEAKING UP AND ENGAGING WITH OUR PUBLIC OFFICIALS!
Today we celebrate, however, the project continues at a rapid pace and we must stay engaged to eliminate the remaining negative impacts on our community:
- Reducing ramp heights at the 495 & 66 interchange;
- Maintaining treelines and land at Stenwood Elementary, Dunn Loring Woods, and Prichards Corner;
- Minimizing impacts at the Nutley interchange;
- Noise, pollution and safety concerns related to tractor trailers on HOT lanes and a HOT lane speed limit of 70mph;
- Anticipated disruptions during construction (We deserve a Residents Bill of Rights); and
- Fair, reasonable, and respectful negotiations with residents impacted by partial and total right of way takings
This is the beginning of the final design stage and it is more important than ever to stay active and engaged. We will work to keep you informed of the proposed changes and meeting dates but please contact us if you hear anything.
Transform 66 Wisely
Tuesday, April 25, 2017
Let your voice be heard re: the proposed I-66 expansion outside the beltway and its effect on Dunn Loring Woods and the combined Dunn Loring communities by attending one or more of these meetings. Note the May 15 meeting to be held at Stenwood School.
OPPORTUNITIES TO COMMENT ON i-66 OUTSIDE THE BELTWAY PROJECT
DATE/TIME MEETING LOCATION OPPORTUNITY
Thurs., May 4 VDOT at Vienna 127 Center St. S Representatives from VDOT
7-8:30PM Town Hall Vienna, Va & Express Mobility Partners
To provide plan updates.
Mon., May 15 VDOT w/ Dunn Loring Stenwood Elem. Updates, same as above.
7=8:30PM communities School Cafeteria
2620 Gallows Rd.,
Tues., May 16 Fairfax Board of Fairfax Co. Government Board of Supervisors tp
Time TBD Supervisors Public Center, 12000 discuss proposed VDOT
Meeting Government Center plan changes and respond
Parkway, Fairfax to Transportation Planning
Mon., June 12 VDOT Public Hearing Oakton High School Allowing public comment
Time TBD on I-66 outside the belt- 2900 Sutton Rd., TBD
Way project Vienna, Va
What are the combined Dunn Loring and nearby ommunitiesasking for?
1. VDOT must work within the horizontal and vertical footprint agreed upon in the Preferred
• Proposed changes that exceed the footprint and negatively impact the combined Dunn Loring and nearby communities include:
• A ramp that is 30 feet over the Gallows bridge and Metro walkways affecting Metro, and businesses near Metro, Stenwood School and Dunn Loring residences
• New ramps at the 495/66 interchange requiring stormwater ponds in Dunn Loring neighborhoods and the removal of natural treeline barriers.
• Interchange design changes at Nutley that would require further land takings and increase safety and traffic flow concerns
2. Express Mobility Partners should be looking at ways to further reduce community impact such as:
• Reduction in property takings along the corridor, including Stenhouse Pl., Dunn Loring Woods and Stenwood School.
• Reducing the height of the 495/66 interchange.
• Relocating the WMATA utility station.
• Design alternatives included in the Do No Harm proposal
• Improvements to the safety and quality of pedestrian and bike pathways and protection of residences that will be negatively impacted by Gallows Rd. widening.
3. Additional study and information are needed on noise, stormwater, air quality and safety measures to understand the extent of impact on the quality of life in affected communities and how these impacts can be mitigated. This includes:
• Rationale for allowing large trucks and higher speed limits on express lanes.
• Plans for community sound walls
• Addressing ancillary road and noise and air quality disruption during construction.
• Safety at interchanges with ancillary roads and pedestrian and bike pathways.
Saturday, March 25, 2017
Eligibility and Application Procedures
Children and grandchildren currently living with a Dunn Loring Woods resident are encouraged to apply for this scholarship. Applicant must be a high school senior planning to attend college full-time by Fall/Winter 2017. The scholarship’s value is $1000.
All applications must be postmarked by April 28, 2017.
All applicants must provide the following:
· Written recommendation/character reference from a teacher or counselor. Recommendation on school letterhead must be submitted with application package.
· Copies of entrance examination scores as applicable. List of awards and/or community service activities on a separate page. Provide enough information so that the selection committee will know what you did, but do not exceed one page.
· All applicants will need to provide one stamped, self-addressed business-sized envelope which will be used to acknowledge receipt of your completed application.
· One wallet-sized picture of applicant.
Incomplete applications will not be acknowledged.
All applicants must submit a typed, double-spaced essay on this topic: "Describe one or more service projects you participated in during high school, how you got involved and what you learned from this involvement."
Essay must not exceed two pages.
The top five candidates may be invited for an interview.
We hope to announce the winner’s name at the Annual Membership meeting on Tuesday, May 16, 2017. Winners’ names and pictures will be featured in the next Lantern.
Please mail all materials in one package, unfolded, in a #10 business size envelope, postmarked by April 28, 2017 to Dunn Loring Woods Civic Association, Attention Scholarship Committee, P.O. Box 238, Dunn Loring, VA 22027.
The Dunn Loring Woods Scholarship Program is administered by the Dunn Loring Woods Civic Association.
Saturday, January 7, 2017
2016 was another great year for holiday decorations in DLW. There were a number of residences with beautiful and unique decorations. Winners of the annual DLWCA holiday decoration awards were hard to pick but the results came in as follows:
1st Place - 8603 Cottage St.
2nd Place - 2635 Wooster Ct.
3rd Place - 2627 Bowling Green Dr.
Thanks to all who took the time and effort to decorate. It makes DLW a joy to drive around at night to see the various displays and exhibits a true feeling community and the holiday season.